OK, OK, more like Happy Conception Day, but that really doesn’t roll off the tongue very well now does it. Well it’s technically Independence Day, a nice long weekend full of mowing my lawn and getting my old car ready for the Street Machine Nationals, and doing other peoples work because they’re “too busy”, I’ve seen their versions of this and I’m pretty sure my manager “encouraged” them to move the work over to me. I’m still adding site data from three or four years ago, damned frustrating.
My yard is way too big, yet not big enough. I have just over 3 acres but about an acre is “navigable waterway” which , according to the neighbor’s dog, means it holds just enough water to make a great mud puddle to roll around in, for almost two whole days after it rains. It takes almost a full day to mow with the rider, I mowed it twice with the push mower and it took three 8 hour days to finish both times, so I lived on ramen and beans and just mowed the front quarter for three months until I could afford a 20+ horse rider. So, as you can see, the yard is too big, but I can’t build another shop building on it, or go hunting on it, so it’s too small, but it’s the original house for the 40 acre farm and has an existing machine shed on it, but the machine shed has a dirt floor with a two foot drop over 60 feet, that’s going to be a lot of fill when I finally concrete the floor.
Squee! I get to take my car to the Street Machine Nationals! But I’m not geeking out or anything. While I wish I was taking my ’69 Olds Cutlass S, I’ll settle for taking my ’78 VW Scirocco. Will it win any awards? I seriously doubt it. I bought it with most of the mods in place, and most of those only half done, it has 1 power window, it was installed on the driver’s side, it has a single gas strut for the hood, which makes the hood sit funny, the rear parcel shelf was replaced with pegboard and the rear hatch strap mounts were done quite well, the pivot was not well thought out and failed miserably as a hinge, I spent more time reseating the shelf because pivot shifted and the shelf fell down than I care to, but I fixed that, the speaker wires were cut off about halfway up the car, why, I have no idea, I fixed that too. The car has 3 speakers, but no radio, I hope to fix that this weekend, and have 4 speakers and a radio, but first I need to figure out where all these wires go. PO ran all red wires when he worked on it, two other people also worked on the electrical, each of them adding more colors to the all red mess, but there are still a lot of red wires, some are signal, some are hot and some are ground. Yay. At least the engine swap was done fairly well, out came the 1.5 or 1.6l and CIS and in went the 1.8l with Megasquirt, so from mechanical fuel injection to tuneable electronic fuel injection, unfortunately the tune is terrible, it runs a 10:1 AFR tune, gas should be 14.7, I could run pure alcohol on that tune. The brakes now work, installed a new master cylinder, worked like a charm.
Yes I’m rambling, so sue me. This is just my personal space anyway, almost like an online journal, but less private.